Okay, hear me out. My excuse for this lame survey post is that stupid WordPress wasn’t working earlier and now it’s 11:54 and I have to wake up at 6:30 so basically this is a last-ditch effort to get a post in for the day. But yay for vegan surveys!
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Almond milk, no question about it. I have even convinced many omni vegans of almond milk’s inherent deliciousness. (Favorite brand is Almond Breeze Vanilla) Of course, a good rice milk horchata is nice for special occasions.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Muffins- maybe using dried mango/dates
Chickpea Sandwich Spread
Isa’s VB Scones
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
It has to be air-popped popcorn (oh how I miss my air popper!) with melted EB, salt, and lots of nooch. I wish I had some to munch on right now.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Hmmm that’s a toughie. Most recent was my attempt to make quinoa-stuffed red peppers- they ended up so bland I had to drizzle EB over them just to stuff them down. But I have had some funny baking disasters that actually tasted pretty good despite their ugly appearance (i.e. overflowing jam-filled muffins)
5. Favorite pickled item?
I’m a simple girl so a plain old pickle is fine with me.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
I either print them out and put them in a (disorganized!) folder or star them on my Google Reader. Mostly though it’s organized chaos.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
I have both a trash and a garbage disposal, but I really miss my compost. I live in a university residence hall so there isn’t any composting… yet. I was actually thinking about talking to my RA about it.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Dates, broccoli, and tofu.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
I don’t have that many fond food memories from my childhood. I mostly remember those tacky plastic lunch-boxes my mom would always pack my lunches in. You know, the kind with Winnie the Pooh or Little Mermaid on the cover. I miss those!
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Favorite so far is Purely Decadent Coconut Milk Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. But Trader Joe’s Chocolate Cherry is damn good too.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
I pretty much love having an actual kitchen at this point. But, right now my favorite appliance is our toaster oven because it allows me to bake delicious vegan treats.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Freshly cracked black pepper. I recently splurged on a nice pepper grinder and now I could never go back to the pre-grinded stuff again!
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
An old Betty Crocker vegetarian cookbook that I didn’t even take to college with me. The only vegan cookbook I own is Vegan Brunch- lame, I know!
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
apple pie! that stuff is sinfully good
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
I don’t really know because I hardly ever cook for anyone. I have no confidence in my cooking skills for other taste buds than my own. But if you include baking, I would say Vcon banana bread. Omnis rave over that stuff.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Tofu! Long live tofu as it ultimately kicks seitan’s and tempeh’s sorry ass. And to think, I used to be so scared to cook tofu I would leave unopened packages of it as it went bad in my fridge.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
Lunch- I’m usually energetic and excited to cook at that point in the day. Plus, afterwards there’s plenty of good lighting for food photography.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Paper towels (not mine), a jar of used Yoplait yogurt lids (not mine), my set of 3 jars with pinto beans, black eyed peas, and sugar, and empty sugar/cream containers
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Literally, only edamame beans. The rest is my roommates’. Yah, I need to go grocery shopping!
20. What’s on your grocery list?
baking stuff (baking soda, vanilla extract, brown sugar, applesauce, chocolate chips, nutmeg), bananas, tofu, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, salsa
21. Favorite grocery store?
Does the farmer’s market count? If not, then my local Trader Joe’s.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough malt!
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Quarry Girl, Fat Free Vegan, Bitter Sweet
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Dandies. Those suckers are insanely good.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Um, dates? But they were only like $3.49 so not too extravagant.
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
Agar powder, okra, natto (that stuff looks scary!)